Feb 19, 2008

Black and White and Spirelli...

All Images Copyright Stampin' Up 1990- 2008

I have been looking for new ideas to "spice" up my classes and I also wanted fun and simple techniques that won't overwhelm someone just getting started. I think that Spirelli fits the bill. Do you remember playing with a Spirograph as a child? If so, you are already familiar with the Spirelli concept. Basically, you create a pattern by wrapping thread around a punched out image. The closer the thread is wrapped, the wider the center opening is. For the piece I used on this card, I punched a scrap of Real Red CS with our Scallop punch and then used the (now discontinued) silver cording to create the pattern. Using a piece of tape (or a glue dot), I taped the starting piece of cord to the back of the punched cs. Then I came up over the top counted five valleys (the little dips between scallops) wound back and then over, always working clockwise.

After the first try or two, it actually went quite quickly. The biggest challenge was keeping Breezy (the silly orange tabby) from helping!

The finished card uses Basic Black, Whisper White and Real Red CS, the Baroque Motifs set and the scallop punch. Simple, elegant, and multi-purpose.

No comments: